Wednesday 17 March 2010

A ride on a roller coaster

Since the last post I feel that I have been on a roller coaster. No, thinking again, it's a helter skelter - down, down, down and smack at the bottom!

On Sunday I heard some snippets of The Politics Show, where Gordon Brown answered questions from an audience of undecided voters. He spoke enthusiastically about the improvements that have been made to the NHS. How marvellous it is to have new hospitals, that people where cancer is suspected are seen within two weeks, and that it is planned to further reduce this to one week. He continued on, until a lady put her hand up, and said something like ‘but it is just not working. My patients are having to wait twelve months for therapy.’ She was a psychologist, and she described the reality experienced by many, as opposed to the view portrayed by senior managers, spokespeople and the Government. Gordon Brown said it was not acceptable, that all the services had guidelines on waiting times, and that he would investigate the situation. I wondered whether to write to Gordon, so as to ensure that he understands that her NHS Trust was not alone with people waiting twelve months for therapy! But really, I just have not got the energy to do that.

I’m not anti the NHS, and I am not sure what we would do without it. I know that many staff work tremendously hard and do an amazing job. I also know that many countries would do anything to have our NHS, so in many ways we are very fortunate. What makes me so angry is when what I hear and read, in the media, is so far removed from my experience, and that of so many other people.

When the psychologist spoke up, I almost shouted out encouragement to her. I sincerely hope that she will not experience any repercussions at work.

I'll post again soon and cover the referral which has been lost before it was sent off, and the extremely long waiting times, that sent me flying into something resembling a rage, and honest, I'm actually not really a rage person. Honestly!

No comments:

Post a Comment